Family Lawyers For Kansas City And Surrounding Areas
Thilges & Bernhardt, Attorneys at Law, LLC (f/k/a Short, Borth & Thilges, Attorneys at Law, LLC), is a boutique family law firm serving clients in the Kansas City metropolitan area, including Johnson County, Kansas, and Jackson County, Missouri, as well as surrounding areas.
With our distinguished history and excellent reputation with the bar, most of our cases come to us through word of mouth from clients or fellow professionals. We handle a wide variety of family law matters, but with our significant knowledge and expertise we are comfortable handling complex high-asset divorces and work with business and financial professionals to help our clients resolve their matters fairly, reasonably and effectively.
Family Law Is Our Only Focus
Our lawyers can help you with all aspects of family conflicts, including:
- Divorce: This includes all matters that must be settled in a divorce or a separate maintenance (legal separation) action, such as child custody and parenting plans, spousal support (also called alimony or maintenance), child support and property division. We also help clients modify or enforce existing agreements and court orders. For clients with special needs due to the complicated nature of their assets, we can help decide issues of valuation as well as other matters that may influence property division and spousal support.
- Paternity: For unmarried parents, there may be complications regarding custody, parenting time, child support and possibly division of property. We can help you explore your options.
- Mediation: Our firm attempts to resolve all legal issues as amicably and efficiently as possible. We recognize that some clients may benefit from mediation, which allows the parties to keep more control of the outcome and not have the Court decide the issues for them. Our firm has attorneys that are court-approved mediators and have great experience settling disputes in all areas of family law.
- Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements: Our attorneys can help you negotiate, draft and litigate prenuptial (also termed premarital) and postnuptial (also termed postmarital) agreements.
- Grandparents’ rights: The divorce, separation or death of a child can deeply affect a grandparent’s relationships with his or her grandchildren. We can help you understand your rights and options as a grandparent.
- Appeals: Sometimes, a decision or agreement isn’t the end of the story. If you would like to appeal a decision in your divorce, or your former spouse files an appeal, we can answer your questions and help you decide how to proceed.
Contact Thilges & Bernhardt, Attorneys at Law, LLC
If you are going through family conflict, contact us at 913-562-1283 or fill out our online form. We serve clients in Kansas City and surrounding areas of Kansas and Missouri.