Jennifer was born in Kansas City, Missouri and grew up in Overland Park, Kansas. She received her Bachelor of Arts in Human Development and Family Life in 1998 from the University of Kansas and her Juris Doctorate degree from Washburn University School of Law in 2003. She was admitted to the Kansas Bar in 2003 and the Missouri Bar in 2004. Prior to joining Short Borth & Thilges in 2016, Jennifer practiced family law in Johnson County and also served as the Interim Court Trustee of Johnson County, Kansas, responsible for enforcement of over ten thousand child support and maintenance orders established by the Johnson County Courts.
Jennifer dedicates a portion of her practice to advocating for children's best interest while their parents are in the midst of litigation as a Guardian Ad Litem. In addition, Jennifer is a trained mediator who assists families in amicably resolving the various issues of their case by arriving at their own solutions that meet their family's specific needs and circumstances. She believes that when family members participate in creating the solution, the entire family is better served in the long run and there are less likely to be future conflicts.
Jennifer has dedicated her entire legal career to assisting families and improving the lives of children who are involuntarily placed in the middle of their family's disputes. Her previous experience as a social worker, combined with her prior employment with the Department for Children and Families, provides Jennifer with the knowledge to understand the many complexities of each unique family situation. She understands the end of a marriage can be very difficult for a client, as well as various issues that arise between separated parents involving parental decisions and finances. Jennifer strives to provide her client's with solid guidance and assistance through the entire legal process. Her client's mind are at ease knowing that they have a congenial, strong, and knowledgeable advocate on their side.
In her free time, Jennifer enjoys spending time with her husband and her two children as well as cheering on the Kansas Jayhawks.
Areas Of Practice
- Child Support
- Child Custody
- Family Law
- Child in Need of Care
Certified Legal Specialties
- Guardian Ad Litem, Kansas Supreme Court, 2013
- Kansas, 2003
- Missouri, 2004
- Washburn University School of Law, Topeka, Kansas
- J.D. - 2003
- University of Kansas
- B.A. - 1998
- Major: Human Development and Family Life
- Johnson County District Court Trustee’s Office Powers and Procedures, Herbert Walton Bench Bar Conference
- Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, Johnson County Family Law Inn of Court
- Depositions, Johnson County Family Law Inn of Court
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kansas Bar Association, Member, 2003 to Present
- Missouri Bar Association, Member, 2004 to Present
- Johnson County Bar Association, Member, 2011 to Present
- Johnson County Family Law American Inn of Court, Associate, 2014 to Present