Settling major disputes in your divorce or paternity case is the first, most difficult step for many couples. You may invest a great deal of time, energy and money making decisions about how to split your assets, co-parent your children and relate to one another now that you are no longer together.

It can be discouraging to find yourself back in court months or years later.

Unless your divorce is very cut-and-dry and you never see one another again, life may make a number of changes in your life. Support payments may be too high or low, or child care arrangements may no longer work as your children grow and their needs change.

Thilges & Bernhardt, Attorneys at Law, LLC our lawyers will work with you to ensure that any changes are made efficiently and you are not drawn back into conflict with each other.

The Only Constant In Life Is Change

Our attorneys always try to work disputes out between the two of you through negotiation and mediation if possible, keeping control with you and not a judge.

Our clients find themselves seeking or defending against post-divorce or post-paternity modifications for a number of reasons, including:

  • Support: Child support or spousal support may need to change if either spouse's income changes drastically, particularly if a job is gained or lost — or if there are unexpected emergency expenses such as a health crisis.
  • Child care arrangements: Custody and parenting plans may need changing over time, particularly if you find cooperation difficult or impossible, or your children age and their circumstances change.
  • Relocation: If either parent wants to move away, this can cause drastic changes in parenting time arrangements, and can become very contentious.
  • Enforcement: If either partner is not living up to his or her responsibilities from the existing settlement agreement or court order — for example, falling behind on payments or refusing to cooperate with the parenting plan — it may be necessary to work out disputes in court. A contempt citation and/or modification of court orders may be the outcome of going to court.

Contact Thilges & Bernhardt, Attorneys at Law, LLC

Contact us at 913-491-4400 or fill out our online form if you are hoping to change your court orders, or stop your former spouse from changing them, in Johnson County or surrounding areas.