Sometimes, the end of a trial doesn't mean the end of the story. For particularly difficult family law situations that end up in court, litigation may result in a judgment which one side may feel is contrary to the current law.

In those cases, either side can seek an appeal.

An appeal is not an automatic second “kick at the can.” Just because you seek an appeal does not mean that you will be granted one; there has to be a good reason to be allowed to go to the next level of court and try to overturn what a judge has decided.

Whether they have to do with maintenance, property division or other matters involved in a divorce or paternity action appellate cases can be challenging and rewarding for lawyers. Unfortunately, they can be incredibly costly for our clients, in terms of money, energy and time — 18 months is not unusual. We believe you are best served by complete honesty and respect for your resources and your situation, and we will not advise you to seek an appeal unless there is a legitimate issue at stake.

An appeal is not something to pursue on a whim.

A Higher Court

The attorneys of Thilges & Bernhardt, Attorneys at Law, LLC can help you deal with appeals, whether you are thinking of seeking one or have to respond to one. Our attorneys will answer your questions about your case and what will happen if it goes to a higher court, including:

  • The likelihood of being granted leave to appeal, and the costs of appealing
  • The likelihood of an appeal being successful and the estimated costs of going through the process
  • The timeline involved
  • The effect of your court orders while the appeal is ongoing

If your former spouse is appealing, we will let you know the likelihood of succeeding against him or her, as well as the estimated costs involved.

Contact Thilges & Bernhardt, Attorneys at Law, LLC

Contact us at 913-491-4400 or fill out our online form if you are thinking of appealing a decision from family court or responding to an appeal. We represent clients throughout Johnson County and nearby areas of Missouri and Kansas.